Thursday, April 17, 2014

Time

Hi Peeps,

Today will not be a cheerful blog post. Though I hope it will still hold some sort of interest.

A few days ago, 4 students from the University I attend, along with another student from another post secondary institution were brutally stabbed by another student from my University. In short 5 young people were murdered by another young person.

I will not go into details, nor make a whole blog post about their passing. I feel that, since I did not know any of them personally, it would be disrespectful of me to write about them in length. I wouldn't want some random stranger doing that to me or my family. It's not my place. But that being said, I can write about what this experience has taught me. It isn't the first time I've realized this either.

Life is short. If you didn't know that by now, then where have you been? Like I wrote in my last blog post, we keep waiting for tomorrow and don't live in the now, it'll be gone before we know it. Some of us won't get a tomorrow or maybe a three months from now. Maybe we won't see next Christmas or celebrate our next birthday. Nothing is guaranteed.

When things like this happen, I find myself wondering about who they were as people. It's funny, we pass multiple people a day, are in so many lives for brief moments and we never even realize. For example, I wondered if I had ever seen any of them on campus at a brief glance. Or if they were in my classes. Even when it is not close to home, I still have these thoughts. In one of my psychology classes we watched a documentary on bullying. And each time they told the date that a young person had ended their life, I thought about what had been happening elsewhere in the world at that moment. Was there a wedding?  Did someone lose their dog? Was it just another day? All these things and more go through my head  and it makes me sad that while we were all busy living our lives, someone else was ending their own.
 I don't know, I guess I've always found it so interesting that we can be so aware of the world but so unaware at the same time. I know that we can't stop the world from turning every time something bad happens to a living creature on this Earth. We would never move forward. So I guess we just really need to make the most of our time here, because it is so fleeting.
I'm not entirely sure if this post made any sense. I guess it's partially me venting my thoughts about what happened to these young people, the fact that 6 families lost their child in some way, shape or form and just wanting to remind myself that I don't always have tomorrow. My heart goes out to these families, but also to other families who may have lost a loved one today or yesterday or ten years ago. I hope the time you spent with them while they were live was happy, even if it was cut short. You may have lost a loved one, but you gained a new guardian angel.
 
 
Over and Meowt
Marli J

No comments:

Post a Comment