Saturday, May 24, 2014

How Times have Changed (Part 1)

Hi peeps!

I recently started a new job ( hip, hip, hooray!) and the other day, they had me outside working on filling one of the raised flower beds with soil. They didn't have any gloves, so I was working in my bare hands. And to my surprise, I actually loved it! I loved have the dirt under my nails, to have that distinctive soil smell left on my hands, and to feel the interesting moist yet dry texture of it on my skin. But if you had asked my younger self about touching dirt, you probably would have been met with my iconic "grossed out" face and something along the lines of "Ew, gross". And this made me realize that there are a few other things that I absolutely hated as a kid, but love as an adult.

1.) Cow Saliva
My baby from last spring, Aberdeen, giving a cheeky little wink to the camera
 
Before you think I'm some weirdo who has an obsession with drinking cow salvia ( that's probably actually a thing *shudder*), it's not like that. See, I grew up on a farm and we raised cattle there. When a cow has twins, she will only be able to take care of one. The other one becomes a "bottle fed" and my siblings and I would take care of them. Now just like human babies, calves drool. A lot. Like a lot, a lot. And it is gross. When I was little, I hated for it to touch my hands. But if you don't hold the nipple of the bottle, they will pull it off and the milk will be wasted. Needless to say, this happened a lot when I was little. Like a lot, a lot. But now that I'm older , I actually don't mind it touching my hands. I can always wash it off later.

Look at me, unleashing my inner farm girl.

2.) Brown Bread
It was disgusting when I was little and my Mum rarely bought white bread, so I was forced to eat it. I used to hate it SO much I threw the crust behind our TV stand when my mom wasn't looking. She found them years later. Try explaining that one...

3.) Long Car trips
They were boring! And my parent's made me listen to ABBA, the BeeGees and the Mama and the Papas ( which now I all love...there's another one!). Now I love them because I can either have time to jam out to my music or think ( when I travel alone) or I can spend time talking to my family with little interruptions. It's quite nice.

4.) The TV Channels my parents watched
If it didn't have cartoons or Miley Cyrus in a blonde wig, I hated it. Now channels like A&E, VisonTV and the History Channel are my jam!

5.) Museums
Dude, I wish I could go to this museum!
 
Once again, when you're little, museums aren't really a kid friendly zone. But now, I love all kinds of museums. I like learning about the world. It's actually pretty neat. I mean, we live here so we might as well learn about it!

6.) Snakes

Oh no wait, I still hate those. Ew.

Those are only I few things I can think off the top of my head that I hated when I was little but love now. As I think of more, I'll keep posting more blogs about it. Kind of like a blog series. Oooooooo, look at me, a blog series! So if anyone reading this has anything they hated as kids but love now, please feel free to share! It's cool  and interesting to see how much we change over our lives, so why not share!

Over and Meowt
Marli J

No comments:

Post a Comment